Our “Why” / Our Founding Story
My Wellbeing identifies as a community of mental health practitioners and advocates, working to reduce stigma and increase accessibility to mental health care.
Alyssa Petersel, who trained as a social worker at NYU, founded My Wellbeing in June 2017. Her background is in community organizing, communications and writing, and outpatient mental health (she worked as a social worker on a Brooklyn ACT team, at a psychoanalytic training institute in Manhattan, and in a private group practice in Brooklyn Heights). She is committed to growing My Wellbeing with intention and compassion, with empathy for both client and clinician and inclusion in mind every step of the way.
Alyssa started My Wellbeing largely because she wanted to use it herself. When she began training as a social worker, she took her own therapist search more seriously. Despite her not being in a time of crisis and her being able to understand all of the acronyms like CBT and DBT, it was still really challenging to get in the room and find the right fit.
At first, she thought she was alone in her struggling through the search. After years of communicating with other clients and coordinating their intakes through her outpatient work, she realized this problem was much bigger than herself and she wasn’t alone in needing an easier solution. She checked in with colleagues on the therapist side to learn that practitioners craved easier, more personalized ways of connecting with compatible clients, too.
So, upon graduating with her MSW, she started My Wellbeing through a 10-week business incubator program at NYU.
Since August 2017, Alyssa’s been growing the impact, mission, and team. My Wellbeing focuses on:
- Matching seekers and compatible clinicians
- Building community for practitioners in an otherwise isolating and segmented field
- Reducing stigma and increasing psychoeducation through curated content
- Facilitating professional development resources for practitioners on the business side of their work As of early December 2018, we have facilitated over 3,000 matches and work with around 100 clinicians in NYC.
How My Wellbeing Matching Works
What you may or may not realize is that clients face tremendous obstacles when searching for a compatible clinician. Most do not know what to look for (87% of clients we guided last year expressed feeling overwhelmed, lost, and confused by the various options), many are burdened by symptoms of anxiety or depression, and many reach out to 10-15 clinicians before receiving a response, building an experience of burn out and fatigue in their search. You probably can viscerally relate to the reality that more choices is not necessarily better, particularly if you are experiencing symptoms of psychological distress.
At My Wellbeing, we provide clients one match at a time, right to their inbox, based on a brief preferences questionnaire they share with us. Our goal is to reduce anxiety as much as possible in the process of meeting you, so that you and the client can determine your rapport together.
Our matching is based on things like:
- Logistics like fee and location
- Therapy technique (how participatory or directive vs. intuitive and relational the therapist leans)
- Temperament (how nurturing vs. formal the therapist leans)
- Speciality areas (how much experience a clinician has with a given issue area and any particular trainings and certifications)
- Demographics (things like age, race, ethnicity, and sexual orientation can make a big difference in the client’s feeling safe)
What’s Included in Membership?
We are supported by membership fees, paid by our practitioners. More on pricing below.
Membership includes things like:
- Participation in our database to be eligible to match with incoming clients
- Exclusive discounts on business development resources (website audit or build from scratch, advertising audit or build, business coaching, support integrating technology into your practice, EMR platform discount, social media presence support, etc.)
- Complimentary tickets to monthly in-person practitioner gatherings
- Access to on-demand online Slack channel to network and chat with the My Wellbeing practitioner network
- Monthly therapist newsletter, including product updates, discounts, events, and opportunities to share news about your own offerings (workshops, supervision groups, etc.)
- Interpersonal support from the My Wellbeing team
- Cross-referrals from others in the My Wellbeing network
- Cross-referrals with sister industries (psychiatry, acupuncture, holistic health coaches, etc.)
- Cross-referrals with business service providers (accountants, lawyers, etc.)
- Opportunity to publish writing on My Wellbeing’s blog, which will be featured on our website and social media platforms, helping to increase your reach and SEO of your web presence
- Opportunity to participate in workshops and office hours at corporate partners
My Wellbeing is supported by three different pricing plan options:
- $660/6 months ($110/month)
- $1200/year ($100/month)
We collect all payments by electronic invoice. These prices are pre-NY State and NYC sales tax, which will be included in your invoice.
What About Insurance?
For various reasons, we currently specialize in matchmaking outside of insurance. To help explain why, we share this blog post with everyone we work with.
We actively communicate with incoming clients who express needing to pay with insurance to explain the shortage of mental healthcare in-network and the benefits of working with someone who is the right fit, even if that person has a higher session fee. This can look like a series of email exchanges or brief phone consultations with the My Wellbeing team. Many times, this does result in a prospective client realizing they do have out of network benefits they are happy to use, or they are willing to pay out of pocket.
We do our best to assist clients who are extremely restricted by fee to share agency or institute resources where they can access care.
It is worth noting: price is arguably the biggest barrier to entry for prospective clients. We receive the most traffic in the $80-100 price range per session and the lower your sliding scale the more traffic you will experience based on market demand.
By nature of our continuously improving marketing efforts, we do receive more and more traffic each month from full fee clients. You can learn more on the average numbers below.
If you do accept insurance in-network and would like to match with clients who want to pay through insurance, you will receive much higher traffic than our average numbers because there is tremendous demand.
If you are on an insurance panel but are hoping to transition off, we can talk more about this during our onboarding process.
Numbers and Expectations
This is a glimpse of some numbers to think about as of December 2018:
- Based on a fee as low as $100/session, you will earn your yearly membership back in only 12 sessions (3 months with 1 client). Based on a fee of $150/session, you will earn your yearly membership back in only 8 sessions (2 months with 1 client).
- At the above numbers, you will earn 4-6x your investment in My Wellbeing from just one client connection.
- We are currently local to NYC. We work with clinicians primarily in Manhattan and Brooklyn. We look forward to increasing our presence in neighborhoods like Staten Island, Queens, New Jersey, Westchester, Long Island, Harlem, and more, to better accommodate the diversity of clients we work with.
- My Wellbeing matches about 400 clients per month and as of April 2019 works with about 130 clinicians.
- About 1 in 4 clients who receive your information book a phone consultation.
- About 94% of clients who participate in a phone consultation go on to book an in-person appointment with you.
- Clinicians on average begin working with about 4 new clients in their first 3 months with My Wellbeing. This number varies according to things like your fee, gender, specialty, issue areas, and more.
- Clinicians who offer a sliding scale between $80-100 experience the most traffic.
As an additional offering, My Wellbeing partners with a number of office-space-providers in the NY area to receive exclusive discounts for My Wellbeing members. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are seeking space and would like a connection.
Therapist Experiences with My Wellbeing
"I leaped into private practice in mid-April of this year and became a member of My Wellbeing in May. It’s now the beginning of September and I have over 20 clients half of which were referred through My Wellbeing. Not only did these clients come ready for therapy, they came ready for the type of work that I do, able to pay my fee scale, available at the same time. It is abundantly clear that Alyssa has perfected the art of therapy match making. I would highly recommend My Wellbeing to aid in building your practice at whatever stage you are in."
— LCSW, Financial District
"My Wellbeing has been an incredible asset to boosting my practice. It is not only an innovative idea, it is helping clients and therapists simplify an overwhelming amount of choices and decisions. My Wellbeing has been great to me, and I highly recommend Alyssa and her staff; they are compassionate, dedicated professionals who believe in their vital mission to help change lives! Sign on and watch your practice grow!"
— LCSW, Midtown East
"So about 5 months ago, I was extremely burnt out working as a therapist at an outpatient clinic full time, working an 85 client caseload and I desperately needed a change in my life. I worked with a colleague to open our own private practice.
Those weeks leading up to leaving my full time job were some of the scariest in my adult life. We all know how scary this "leap" can be and the pressures that come with it. That first month I learned of My Wellbeing and met with Alyssa, this was the first day my anxiety started to decrease. Alyssa was so warm and accommodating and not only offered this incredible service to help me match with clients but she also offered me a community of therapists, rental space if needed and offered any help we needed for our website and social media presence to help make it the best it could be.
Ever since, I'm now 5 months in with My Wellbeing and my new practice, I have 18 clients, 10 are referrals from My Wellbeing! All the referrals were able to fit into my schedule and were willing to work with me with my fees. My anxiety has since completely subsided (most of the time haha), I know if a client leaves my practice for whatever reason, in a couple of weeks I will hear from Alyssa for another new client. That feeling alone is priceless.
The clients have all matched really well with me and the work we have accomplished has been incredible. I truly recommend this service, in many ways My Wellbeing helped me build my practice and helped me gain my life back. Couldn't be happier!"
— LMHC, Financial District
"A few months ago, I attended a networking event that was hosted by Alyssa Petersel, founder of My Wellbeing. After about 5 minutes of talking to the other therapists, I felt like I was now apart of a family. Everyone was so knowledgeable and passionate about their practice. They were open to share their experiences within private practice and welcomed the opportunity to support others in such an authentic way.
I immediately signed up and since then I still feel like more than just a therapist on the site...I feel like I’m apart of a family that wants to heal the world one client at a time. Alyssa sends us personal emails to refer a client, she hears my concerns and updates me on events and progress within the organization. The trainings are free and they speak to everyday modern psychotherapy practices. The clients I receive have gone through a consultation process, have been long standing and more importantly welcome change within their lives.
I’m a member of 3 sites and My Wellbeing has truly changed the game for my practice. My revenue has increased and knowing that I have a supportive team of therapists behind me makes a huge difference for my emotional growth and my practice. I have enjoyed my experience thus far and I will be a lifelong member."
— LMSW, Brooklyn Heights
A note: This page is a living document and is our effort to be transparent about the frequently asked questions we receive from interested practitioners like you.
If there is anything you have questions about, or anything you’d like to add that would be helpful (for you and for others), please don’t hesitate to reach out with any thoughts or questions: email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in My Wellbeing and for the important work that you do. We look forward to connecting soon!
-- Alyssa, Kayla and the My Wellbeing team
If you would like to apply to join the My Wellbeing community, please click the button below to complete your application. Following your application, a member of the My Wellbeing team will reach out with next steps.